These units provide maternity services such as:
- antenatal and postnatal care
- prenatal diagnosis unit
- maternal and foetal surveillance.
Overseen by consultant obstetricians and gynaecologists, there is a wide range of attached staff linked to them, including specialist nurses, midwives and imaging technicians.
Care can include:
- general inpatient and outpatient treatment
- colposcopy, laser therapy or hysteroscopy for abnormal cervical cells
- psychosexual counselling
- recurrent miscarriage unit
- early pregnancy unit.